[FASTCGI] FCGI_LISTENSOCK_FILENO

Thomas Grimshaw tom at streamsense.net
Tue Aug 5 14:56:11 EDT 2008

Since the list is working again now :)

===========

Hi all,

I'm currently in the process of expanding my webserver to support
FastCGI. However, i'm having a little trouble understanding one crucial
part of the specification.

I may be lacking some fundamental knowledge here, so, please bear with me!

I need to create a socket in my webserver application before launching
the fastCGI app. So, I do this, and I have the socket handle.

The specification reads "The Web server leaves a single file descriptor,
FCGI_LISTENSOCK_FILENO, open when the application begins execution. This
descriptor refers to a listening socket created by the Web server."
How does the FastCGI application get my socket handle?  I see from the
spec that FCGI_LISTENSOCK_FILENO is a constant of 0.  And a file
descriptor of 0 refers to STDIN, does it not? Is this a roundabout way
of saying that I need to use STDIN to communicate?

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give.

Many thanks,

Tom