[FASTCGI] obtaining a core file

Eddie Bishop eddie.bishop at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 18:48:42 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I'm developing an application that runs under fastcgi on linux/apache. The
application crashes at seemingly random times (I don't think it's fastcgi's
fault). I don't know how to duplicate the problem, so I need to be able to
setup the application to generate a core file, so that when it happens
again, I can debug the core file. I can't debug the issue outside of fastcgi
(in a development environment), becuase I don't know how to reproduce the
issue. So the plan is to set it up to dump a core file next time it happens
in production. How can I set this up, and where would the core file be
dumped to? I know about the ulimit() function, but in my development
environment (running outside of fastcgi) I couldn't get it to return
anything besides 0. ( see
http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/ulimit.html )

Ideally, I'd like a solution that doesn't require me to build fastcgi again.
In other words, I'd like a fix that only needs me to edit the source of my
app and not the source of fastcgi.

Thanks,
Eddie