[FASTCGI] Need to disable buffering

Michiel Brandenburg apex at xepa.nl
Sat Jun 20 14:28:55 EDT 2009

Hi Dave,

> Can anyone please advise how I can disable the buffering in fastCGI.
> We have a Linux server running a Debian OS.
> fastCGI is installed as well as php4.
> Previous we were using normal CGI php4.
> The php command 'flush()' that was outputting data during the php
> process ( normal CGI ) is now not outputting on fastCGI -- it is
> buffering all the data until the php process is completed, and then
> outputting to the browser.
> How can we set the fastCGI to flush the output to the browser as it is
> receiving the flushed data from the php process ?
I think you can do this by using -flush as a parameter, but to be sure
check the documentation at
http://www.fastcgi.com/mod_fastcgi/docs/mod_fastcgi.html

> As I am a novice, could you plese tell me exactly what to add / change
> and in which file on the Linux server ?
Find the file in your /etc/ directory that contains the "<IfModule
mod_fastcgi.c>" statement.  Some places to look:

with apache:
/etc/apache/conf.d/fastcgi.conf

with apache2:
/etc/apache2/mods-enabled/fastcgi.conf

Look for the statement FastCgiConfig (add it if it's not there) prepend
-flush

That should do the job, hope it helps
--
Michiel Brandenbug