[FASTCGI] fastcgi apache2 [error] (13)

Liam Elbourne lelbourn at cbms.mq.edu.au
Mon Mar 9 00:33:20 EDT 2009

Hi All,

If this is the wrong place to post this, or simply just a terminally
stupid question I apologise in advance, and will humbly accept any
criticism, particularly if it is constructive!

I've installed mod_fastcgi-2.4.6 and am attempting to use it with
apache 2 with fedora 8 to serve trac/svn. I've done this previously on
MacosX with very little difficulty (none as far mod_fastcgi was
concerned. However with the fedora installation, I've had lots of
problems, culminating in the current one which I cannot resolve. The
problem seems to be permissions related,  when trying to access the
web site the server gives a error message relating to permissions on a
trac file (which is not the issue - I chmoded everything to 777 to
test it). However the apache error log, which presumably is more
informative and specific gives the following error message after the
usual start up notices:

[error] (13)Permission denied: FastCGI: apr_dir_open() failed
[notice]......
[notice].....
[error] (13)Permission denied: FastCGI: apr_dir_open() failed
[notice] FastCGI: process manager initialized (pid nnnnn)
[notice] Apache/2.2.9 (Unix) DAV/2 mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8b SVN/
1.4.4 mod_fastcgi/2.4.6 configured - resuming normal operations

according to apachectl -t everything is OK.

Is there anyway to get a little more information (as in which file/
directory specifically is giving the problem with the apr_dir_open)
out of FastCGI? Why does the error message occur twice (mod_fastcgi is
only included once in httpd.conf)? How come the FastCGI process
manager initialises OK despite the error messages?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have gone through all the
documentation for mod_fastcgi, apache2 etc that I can find, but
couldn't find anything relevant.

Regards,
Liam Elbourne.