[FASTCGI] FastCgiExternalServer Config

rmostert rmostert at cs.up.ac.za
Sat Mar 14 18:36:45 EDT 2009

Hi, I'm still struggling with this. Can  anyone please help?

Thanks

--------------
Hi,
I am currently setting up a apache2 webserver, with fastcgi to run php.
Php 5.2.8 and apache2 has been install correctly , with all the requires
flags.

I wish to run an FastCgiExternalServer.

After googling away for a while, I found inconsistent information,
from multiple sources,containing to the FastCgiExternalServer directive's
filename parameter.

As I understand it , the external server runs on its own , thus, apache2
does not run any script connecting to it, and the fastcgi mod redirects all
requests to the external server.

The main two explanations for the filename parameter I found is
1)That filename a virtual script, that doesn't need to exist on either the
local or the external server, basically a variable name so that apache2
sends all requests for it to the external server.

Having set it up like this,

FastCgiExternalServer "/var/www/localhost/fastcgi/php-fastcgi" -host
127.0.0.1:9000
AddType "application/x-httpd-fastphp .php"
Action application/x-httpd-fastphp "/var/www/localhost/fastcgi/php-fastcgi"

I both created an script at the location, and left it empty.

All requests received  gives an 404 error , to the likes of
"/var/www/localhost/fastcgi/php-fastcgi/index.php doesn't exist"

2) That filename directive should be the document root.
Having set it up like this,

FastCgiExternalServer "/var/www/localhost/htdocs/" -host 127.0.0.1:9000
AddType "application/x-httpd-fastphp .php"
Action application/x-httpd-fastphp "/var/www/localhost/htdocs/"

Request to the domain name , eg www.fluffy.com will result in an "No input
file specified"  error. However www.fluffy.com/index.php will show up
perfectly if index.php is an simple script (not requiring multiple other
documents, eg <?php phpinfo(); phpinfo(INFO_MODULES);?>).

Could someone please explain the correct parameter for filename,
as well as the corresponding Action directive, or any other information
as to were I went wrong.

Thanks a lot.

Reino Mostert