[FASTCGI] Using premade server responses

Rasmus Andersson rasmus at flajm.com
Wed Mar 18 04:46:05 EDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 02:43, Eddie Carle <eddie at erctech.org> wrote:
> Is there a way to get the web server to output one of it's canned responses?
> I've tried sending a "Status: 500 Internal Server Error" and it half works.
> The client gets the header, and knows there is an internal server error, but
> no textual data is actually outputted to the client. Like what if I want to
> output a 404 Not Found error message that the server canned. Is that
> possible?

You'll have to create the response yourself. The only thing most host
server do is set the correct status title (i.e. if you set "Status:
200" the host server should convert that header to "Status: 200 OK").

When sending non-200 responses you should know the HTTP protocol –
when and what to send is very important for the greater model.

However, sending "canned responses" is something the host server can
do much much better than a custom FastCGI app (you have stuff like
mod_rewrite and cache metadta language in lighttpd which both can be
used to do alot of things).

> --
>
> Eddie Carle
>
> This message has been signed with an RFC4880 signature. It is guaranteed to
> have originated from Eddie Carle and its contents can be validated against
> its signature.

Rasmus Andersson