[FASTCGI] FastCGI spec question

David Bender codehero at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 01:00:54 EDT 2009

Hey,
  I am working on a FastCGI implementation and encountered an ambiguity in the spec.

Section 4.1 says:

#  FCGI_MAX_CONNS: The maximum number of concurrent transport connections this
application will accept, e.g. "1" or "10".

# FCGI_MAX_REQS: The maximum number of concurrent requests this application will
accept, e.g. "1" or "50".

 I am assuming that PER CONNECTION, the web server will use Request Id range [1
- FCGI_MAX_REQS] (Is this correct?). Consequently, the application must then
handle (FCGI_MAX_CONNS * FCGI_MAX_REQS) concurrent requests, which violates the
definition of FCGI_MAX_REQS.

 Or am I to assume that the web server partitions the Request ID space among its
active connections? However there could be multiple web servers talking the same
CGI app this would seem difficult to coordinate.

Thank you,

Dave