[FASTCGI] Problem getting FCGI process to run in FCGI mode on Apache 2.2

Connolly, Paul Paul.Connolly at colonialfirststate.com.au
Wed Sep 2 18:46:42 EDT 2009

Hello,

We have been using FCGI for a long time now (10+ years) under Apache
1.3.x on Windows, and would like to upgrade to Apache 2.2.x.  Using
mod_fascgi_2.4.6 with the pre-compiled binary apache module, I am
finding the processes do not start properly in FCGI mode.  Sticking log
messages in the code lead me to the following location in os_win32.c

    /*

     * Determine if this library is being used to listen for FastCGI

     * connections.  This is communicated by STDIN containing a

     * valid handle to a listener object.  In this case, both the

     * "stdout" and "stderr" handles will be INVALID (ie. closed) by

     * the starting process.

     *

     * The trick is determining if this is a pipe or a socket...

     *

     * XXX: Add the async accept test to determine socket or handle to a

     *      pipe!!!

     */

    if((GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE) == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) &&

       (GetStdHandle(STD_ERROR_HANDLE)  == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) &&

       (GetStdHandle(STD_INPUT_HANDLE)  != INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) )

    {

As far as I can tell, this test should succeed if the process was
started by the FCGI process manager.  However, the stdout and stderr
tests both fail, therefore the library thinks it is running in plain CGI
mode, runs through once immediately, and terminates.

If I remove the stdout and stderr tests, the process starts and operates
correctly as a FCGI process listening on the port I specified in
httpd.conf, but then it doesn't run correctly in plain CGI mode.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could try/do?

Thanks,

Paul Connolly
Senior Manager, Solution Architecture

Colonial First State Custom Solutions
Level 1, 105 Camberwell Road, Hawthorn East VIC 3123
Direct 61 3 9805 5124 | Fax 61 3 9813 4182 | Mobile 0413 335 754
paul.connolly at colonialfirststate.com.au

Australia's best full service platform1

Please consider the environment before you print this email.

Colonial First State Custom Solutions is the registered business name of Avanteos Investments Limited ABN 20 096 259 979 AFSL 245531 (AIL). AIL is the trustee of the Avanteos Superannuation Trust ABN 38 876 896 681 and the Symetry Personal Retirement Fund ABN 24 685 968 122.
The information contained in or attached to this message is intended only for the people it is addressed to. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure or copying of this information is unauthorised and prohibited. This information may be confidential or subject to legal privilege.
It is not the expressed view of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia ABN 48 123 123 124 or any of its subsidiaries, including AIL, unless that is clearly stated. Commonwealth Bank of Australia or its subsidiaries cannot accept liability for any virus damage caused by this message.
1The Colonial First State Custom Solutions platform operated by AIL (previously known as the Avanteos platform) has been ranked best full service platform in the Investment Trends Platform Report 2008, 2007, 2006.