[FASTCGI] Logging

Gordon Colburn gordon at group309.com
Tue Apr 13 09:43:27 EDT 2010

I don't know of any good way to configure one log file per process. Instead,
consider using a single log file (like you are now) and define your logging
format so that it contains a process identifier of some kind (e.g. PID). If
you are running on a Unix-like OS, you can then use the various command-line
tools (e.g. awk, grep) to filter out the messages for a particular process
if needed. With this approach, by default you have an aggregate view of the
logs but it is also easy to view the logs by process (I find myself needing
to do both on occasion). Plus, it is less cumbersome (IMO) to have a single
log file than 50.

BTW, if you are deploying to a Windows machine, you can still use awk, grep,
etc. to filter the logs; just install Cygwin (www.cygwin.com
<http://www.cygwin.com/> ).