[FASTCGI] FastCGI still a smart choice in 2010?

Gordon Colburn gordon at group309.com
Tue Apr 20 22:06:44 EDT 2010

There is not much reason to develop fastcgi Java applications as Java has a
number of very solid web technologies, the most basic of which is the
servlet spec. Servlets have been around for over 10 years, provide similar
functionality to fastcgi, are highly scalable, and are portable across
application servers. In fact, I'm not aware of anyone who is currently
developing Java fastcgi apps.

However, fastcgi is still commonly used to deploy PHP apps; on Apache,
fastcgi is arguably a more scalable technique for deploying PHP than is
mod_php. And, fastcgi is a great way to deploy C/C++ web applications, IMO.

Regards,
Gordon