[FASTCGI] FastCGI still a smart choice in 2010?

Garrett Wollman wollman at csail.mit.edu
Wed Apr 21 17:30:16 EDT 2010

<<On Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:32:12 -0700, Sven Svenson <svensvenson3 at gmail.com> said:

> What's happened with the attitudes developers have about FastCGI? It
> seems that FastCGI is not the preferred way of deploying web
> applications outside the Perl world. Are the Java, PHP, Ruby and
> Python folks right to be using something other than FastCGI? Is
> FastCGI still around only because it is a legacy technology (Cobol is
> still around too!) or is FastCGI still a good choice for a high
> performance web site?

As always, it depends on what your requirements are.  We stick with
FastCGI because it's programming-environment-independent.  We can't
tell our users that they have to write in (PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby,
Java, ...) so we need to support all of those systems (and the
environments that layer on top of them) with a single mechanism.  The
one that comes closest to fitting the bill is FastCGI.  (If anyone can
show me a way to run Java crudlets under FastCGI, I'd love to see it,
as we occasionally get requests for that.)

-GAWollman