[FASTCGI] very low performance

Тарасов Евгений tarasove at list.ru
Tue Jan 26 13:07:42 EST 2010

Thanks for your answers!

> How did you write the code to read the file?
> What language did you write it in? You haven't provided enough information.

I wrote it in haskell, just reading file and writting it out using ByteString:

import Network.FastCGI
import qualified Data.ByteString.Lazy as BL

main = runFastCGIConcurrent 1000 (handleErrors cgiMain)

cgiMain :: CGI CGIResult
cgiMain = do
    setHeader "Content-type" "image/jpeg"
    b <- liftIO $ BL.readFile "/usr/lib/cgi-bin/pic.jpg"
    outputFPS b

> FastCGI is not particularly appropriate for this task.  Apache is most
> likely much more efficient at the fairly simple task of streaming files via
> HTTP, and doesn't incur the overhead that FastCGI does in performing that
> task.

I am planning to write complex content management system with storing pictures in dedicated storage, that's why I have to output pictures through the application.

> FastCGI is more appropriate for tasks that you would otherwise write a CGI
> program to do, and should be faster in those cases.  It is also appropriate
> for tasks where you would consider loading mod_php, mod_perl, etc. into
> your Apache configuration; in those cases, the performance difference will
> probably be negligible, but you have a lot more control over the design in
> terms of load-balancing and security.

So, I will use something different than fastcgi.