[FASTCGI] very low performance

Jay Sprenkle jsprenkle at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 13:18:11 EST 2010

> FastCGI is not particularly appropriate for this task.  Apache is most
> likely much more efficient at the fairly simple task of streaming files
via
> HTTP, and doesn't incur the overhead that FastCGI does in performing that
> task.

FastCgi is overkill for serving static images or static pages. It's not for
serving dynamic pages or images. The overhead should NOT be 2 seconds per
page in any case.

I don't know Haskell, but my guess would be that the file read and write is
inefficient, or you're just seeing startup lag.

There will be always be a lag when the first request is made using fastcgi.
The web server must start the haskell program and then pass the request to
it.
As long as the web server keeps the program in memory all further requests
will be much faster.

Here's what I'd try:
Profile the code or write to logs with timestamps
Change the code to return a string instead and see if the string takes 2
seconds. This will tell if it's the image or the setup.