[FASTCGI] The right way to debug a FastCGI app

Wes Widner wes at werxltd.com
Mon Jul 12 15:41:32 EDT 2010

Hello,

I've recently written an application using the FastCGI framework (in C) and
I've been very impressed with the speed it offers. However when I went to
write an extension to my application I've run into some difficulties
debugging my code so I wanted to see if anyone here had a better idea of how
to go about debugging a FastCGI application.

Here is what I am attempting to do thus far:
Run cgi-fcgi through gdb: gdb cgi-fcgi
Then run my fastcgi application directly: (gdb) r -start -connect
127.0.0.1:9005 ./myapp.fcgi 1

This produces the output:
Starting program: /usr/bin/cgi-fcgi -start -connect 127.0.0.1:9005
./*myapp*.fcgi
1

Program exited normally.

Is this the right approach? If so, what am I doing wrong? If not, what is
the best way to go about debugging my application?

Thanks in advance,
-Wes