[FASTCGI] fastcgiapp socket creation

Rob rclemley at booksys.com
Fri Oct 15 19:03:57 EDT 2010

  I'm not sure about lighttpd, we use apache2.

The call to FCGX_Accept() as in echo.c, without initializing the socket
causes FCGX_Accept() to listen on file descriptor 0 (standard input).
(You can see that this is how the lighttpd example "C/C++ FastCGI on
lightty named socket" also uses socket file descriptor 0.

In both Apache2 and lighttpd you can configure the fastcgi server to be
internal (started by the webserver) or external (started independently
of the webserver).  I recommend running external FastCGI servers (some
of the reasons are clearly outlined on the lighttpd fastcgi doc).  In
this case, you arrange for your fastcgi server to be configured and
started independently of the web server, using /etc/init.d scripts,
daemontools, spawn-fcgi, etc.

In the external FastCGI server scenario, our server follows this general
flow:

FCGX_Init()  -- no parameters
socket = FCGX_OpenSocket(socket_string)  // careful about file
permissions here
running = True
Loop while running is True:
     Allocate request
     FCGX_InitRequest(&request, socket, FCGI_FAIL_ACCEPT_ON_INTR)
     Loop while running is True and while nothing on socket:
         retval = select(socket+1, ...)      // timeout of about 1
second plus or minus
         Check for interrupts, server stop signals, etc.
         If server needs to stop, Then set running = False
     If running is True:
         FCGX_Accept(&request)
         If successful accept, spawn a thread to handle and deallocate
the request,
         Else deallocate the request.
Exit

The interesting thing about FCGX_OpenSocket() is that it can take a port
number (as a string) or a Unix Domain Socket filename.  In this way, you
should be able to write this part of your server to work as either an
internal or external FastCGI server.  You will need to pass parameters
(such as the Unix Domain Socket filename, the NT Named Pipe, or a port
number) to your server either through the environment or on the command
line or read from a config file.   The other thing about
FCGX_OpenSocket(), is that you need to be careful that the file it
creates will have the correct permissions to allow your webserver (your
client) to connect to your fastcgi server.

You should also arrange for your server to shut down cleanly in the
event of a signal or other method of notification (the "select()" loop
helps with that).

I can see that lighttpd has a configuration variable "socket_dir" which
could come in to play here.

When using FastCGI library, the source code is often the best documentation.

FYI: It's not *my* website :-)

Hope this helps,
Rob