[FASTCGI] save a log

Doru Georgescu headset001 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 10 13:30:23 EDT 2010

When the log is rotated, using the configuration in my last post, myapp.fcgi could stop writing to /var/log/apache2/myapp.log. This has something to do with permissions. Some permissions are set by create in /etc/logrotate.d/apache2. They should be root.adm 640. Well, after rm myapp.log and restart sysklogd they are root.root 644, probably because of syslogd. Now it changed to syslog.adm 644! My syslog runs under the syslog user. man sysklogd says something about this (search "perm").

Next time it rotates I will try to follow this better.

If you know anything, please drop me a line. Should I add a specific entry in /etc/logrotate.d/apache2, for myapp.log file, with create syslog.adm 644? I'm a bit lost at this interaction between syslogd and logrotate, not to mention this automatic change of user for syslogd.

Doru