[FASTCGI] Trying to use FastCGI to run PHP as UID of file owner

Henry C. henka at cityweb.co.za
Thu May 5 10:10:05 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 15:31, David Birnbaum wrote:
> You appear to be missing the User/Group Apache directives.

Presumably this must be the user/group who owns the PHP files in question?

> Also, the
> php_ directives won't work if you're running the PHP binary from Apache
> directly, I don't think (as opposed to mod_php).

Thanks - yes, these were detritus from the original config.  I'll remove them.

> Finally, are you running the
> php-cgi binary (instead of the php binary?)  There's two different ones now.

I suspect this is where the real problem is.  Unfortunately on this particular
server I have to compile the PHP binary from source (it's not
centos/debian/etc where I can simply yum install php-cgi/apt-get install
php-cgi, etc).

So, for PHP-5.3.3 source, how do I compile it to 'talk' the fastcgi protocol?
Is it different to standard CGI?  Sadly, php 5.3.3 does not seem to have a
--with-fastcgi directive for ./configure).  Is there a fastcgi patch or
something for PHP 5.3.x?

Thanks
Henry