Re: FCGI and Apache

Mark Brown (mbrown@OpenMarket.com)
Sat, 11 May 1996 14:05:03 -0400

To: James Cooper <pixel@tiger.coe.missouri.edu>
Subject: Re: FCGI and Apache
Date: Sat, 11 May 1996 14:05:03 -0400
From: Mark Brown <mbrown@OpenMarket.com>

    I've installed the FastCGI module with Apache 1.0.5 and 1.1
    (w/patch).  Both compile and run.  The problem arises when I try
    to configure srm.conf to allow the execution of FastCGI processes.
    Neither server seems to want to run a FastCGI.

    ... I'm guessing that the module is compiled properly.  Are my
    srm.conf settings wrong?

The parts of the config you included look OK to me.

It sounds as though you have given it a good try, with two Apache
servers, both Perl and C, etc.  Thanks for being so resourceful.

I'm assuming that your /Net/common/usr/people/pixel/www/fcgi/
isn't a ScriptAlias directory.

I know from a previous message of yours that you are running:

    SGI Indy (R4400) 200mhz 128MB RAM
    gcc 2.7.2

You may be running a version of IRIX that we haven't tried.
A 'uname -a' would be helpful.

There is a newer mod_fastcgi out there that you should pick
up and try.

If that doesn't work, I suggest you back off and see if you can get
the absolute simplest FastCGI thing to work.  Once that works you can
work back toward the configuration you actually want, confident that
the platform is probably not screwing you.

The absolute simplest FastCGI thing is cgi-fcgi, run from the command line,
talking to tiny-fcgi.  Here's what to do:

1) do a clean build of the kit, being sure to compile with -g for
debugging.

2) start tiny-fcgi:

    % cd examples
    % ../cgi-fcgi/cgi-fcgi -start -connect sockets/tiny-fcgi ./tiny-fcgi

Use ps to verify that the process is running.

3) give SERVER_NAME a value (tiny-fcgi expects it):

    % setenv SERVER_NAME foo

4) run a request through tiny-fcgi using cgi-fcgi:

    % ../cgi-fcgi/cgi-fcgi -bind -connect sockets/tiny-fcgi

If all is well, some HTML will spit out.  I'm betting
that it won't.

If all is not well, you've probably got one or more core dumps to look
at.  The total amount of code involved is pretty small so you should
be able to make some sense of it.  At least you can get a stack trace to
send in.

Another thing to try if that didn't work is to use TCP rather than
Unix Domain communications.  Read the cgi-fcgi manpage for
information on how to use TCP.

Good luck, and let us know what happens,

    --mark