Re: ncsa patch help

Mark Brown (mbrown@OpenMarket.com)
Wed, 15 May 1996 18:16:43 -0400

To: bpm@techapp.com
Subject: Re: ncsa patch help
Date: Wed, 15 May 1996 18:16:43 -0400
From: Mark Brown <mbrown@OpenMarket.com>

    Yes!! Man this is great!  Off to create a standing Sybase connection!!
    (But how do I kill/turn off the beasties?)

* If you want to install a new version of an app, easiest thing to
  do is install the new executable, then restart the Web server
  (using SIGHUP or your favorite method).

  If you don't want to restart the Web server, you can kill each
  existing process for the given app after installing the
  new executable.  The server will notice
  and restart them all, using the new executable.

* If you want to kill the app off altogether, the easy way is to
  comment it out from the Web server config and then restart the Web
  server.

  If you don't want to restart the Web server, you can remove the
  executable and then kill each existing process for the given app.

Thanks for the NCSA config info.  What I'm really looking for, I guess,
is a *complete* but minimal NCSA server config that gets the server
up with the sample FastCGI apps.  That way somebody can check that they
got the build more-or-less correct, without any interactions with
an existing, more elaborate, config they might be using.

    --mark