Process control of fast-cgi applications

Stefan Farestam (stefan@igis.se)
Tue, 28 May 1996 13:47:31 +0200

Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 13:47:31 +0200
From: Stefan Farestam <stefan@igis.se>
To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
Subject: Process control of fast-cgi applications

Hi,
 I just downloaded the fast-cgi package. It looks great! I am trying
 to run the fcgi scripts and the web server on two different hosts,
 and have a few questions:

    a) The only method I found to start up the applications on the
       remote server was using cgi-fcgi. Is this the recommended
       way? In particular this doesn't give me any security if the
       processes die (i.e. no new ones are started up).

    b) The number of fcgi processes that run seems to be static. It
       would be nice if the number of processes used could depend on
       the actual load, i.e. similar to the way the apache server
       runs already.

    c) How about using a "fake" apache server running on the cgi-script
       machine to achieve process control? has anyone done this?

    d) How do I tell apache to use a fcgi script on a remote machine
       instead of locally. The syntax desrcibed only seems to
       support local mode. I guess I've missed something.

 and finally:

    e) What is the timeschedule for supporting the netsite server?

 Thanks alot for any information/insights/pointers!

 /Stefan Farestam

--
Stefan Farestam              IGIS - Industrial Grade Information Systems
<stefan@igis.se>             Sibyllegatan 43 - 45    Tel: +46 8 667 2848