Re: recently-asked FastCGI questions

Staffan Malmgren (staffan@spray.se)
Thu, 06 Jun 1996 13:15:46 +0200

Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 13:15:46 +0200
From: Staffan Malmgren <staffan@spray.se>
To: Patrick Michael Kane <modus@robot.asimov.net>
Subject: Re: recently-asked FastCGI questions

Patrick Michael Kane wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jun 1996, Mark Brown wrote:
>
> > Q: Do the Perl 5 CGI::* modules work with FastCGI?
> >
> > A: I don't know.  Has anybody out there tried them together?
>
> With my *very* brief testing, the answer would appear to be no.  I had
> all sorts of trouble getting the two to co-exist.
>
> Patrick
> <modus@asimov.net>

I have gotten the CGI.pm module to vork with FCGI, using a Netscape server
with a cgi-fcgi setup. Since the CGI::* modules more or less are the same
as the CGI.pm module, but split up in smaller parts, it should probably
be possible to get the CGI::* modules to work, too.

 The main problem was to make sure that the query object is NOT reused
between the requests. In my version (2.15 (which is old - I know)) I
fixed this by simply commenting out the lines 2381 to 2390 + 2455
(the part that tests "if (defined(@QUERY_PARAM) && !$filehandle)" )

    I tried instansiating a query object from a null filehandle and to
delete every parameter in the query object, but could get none of these methods
to work. One other method that should work is to instansiate the object from
a zero length file, but I haven't tried that.

  Beware though, that this solution takes away a big part of CGI.pm's functionality,
namely the features for maintaining a state through a series of forms. The same
effects can be achieved with FCGI, though

/Staffan