dynamic pool of application processes

Mark Brown (mbrown@OpenMarket.com)
Thu, 06 Jun 1996 09:34:22 -0400

To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: dynamic pool of application processes
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 1996 09:34:22 -0400
From: Mark Brown <mbrown@OpenMarket.com>

Patrick Michael Kane <modus@asimov.net> asks:

    Are there any plans to support a dynamic server
    pool of FCGI processes in Apache (ala Apache itself)?
    I love FCGI, but am currently unable to use it on my very
    busy site because I need to have the burst number of processes
    running 24x7, even if they are only needed from 3-4 PM.

No plans here, but of course anybody can go hack new features into
the code.

Have you tested to see how many application processes you actually
need on the busy site?  You may be pleasantly surprised at how few
it takes to get good performance, especially if the application
performs caching to reduce the amount of I/O.

If you have a predictable load pattern you can vary the number
of processes by slipping in a new config and HUPing the server.
Not elegant but might get the job done for you.

    --mark