Re: recently-asked FastCGI questions

Mark Brown (mbrown@OpenMarket.com)
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:05:42 -0400

To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: Re: recently-asked FastCGI questions
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 1996 11:05:42 -0400
From: Mark Brown <mbrown@OpenMarket.com>

Paul Mahoney says:

    Well I'm interested in developing a C++ Cgi and FastCgi object that will
    support multiplexing. Like most I'm very busy so will do this in spare
    moments -- I already have the framework outlined in my mind. However,
    there is no point if multiplexing is not implemented at the server end.

    Q1. Is multiplexing is not implemented at the server end for the
        Apache server? If not when might it be?

At any instant of time the Apache server runs one request per process.
Therefore it has no opportunity to perform multiplexing of
connections.  (This will change if and when Robert Thau's
multi-threaded Apache core becomes a mainstream part of Apache.)

The lack of connection multiplexing does not mean that FastCGI
applications running on the Apache server cannot benefit from
concurrent request handling.  It just means that instead of getting
concurrent requests over a single connection from the Web server, the
FastCGI applications must accept multiple connections, from different
processes of the Web server.  This is less efficient than multiplexing
a single connection, but more efficient than running separate
application processes to get concurrency.

    --mark