Re: recently-asked FastCGI questions

Paul Mahoney (ptm@xact.demon.co.uk)
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 06:56:12 +100 (BST)

Date: Fri, 14 Jun 1996 06:56:12 +100 (BST)
From: Paul Mahoney <ptm@xact.demon.co.uk>
To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
Subject: Re: recently-asked FastCGI questions

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Mark Brown wrote:

> Mark Browm says:
>> Paul Mahoney says:
>>     Q1. Is multiplexing is not implemented at the server end for the
>>         Apache server? If not when might it be?
>
> At any instant of time the Apache server runs one request per process.
> Therefore it has no opportunity to perform multiplexing of
> connections.  (This will change if and when Robert Thau's
> multi-threaded Apache core becomes a mainstream part of Apache.)
Is this available now? If not, does Robert know when he might have
something available.

> The lack of connection multiplexing does not mean that FastCGI
> applications running on the Apache server cannot benefit from
> concurrent request handling.  It just means that instead of getting
> concurrent requests over a single connection from the Web server, the
> FastCGI applications must accept multiple connections, from different
> processes of the Web server.  This is less efficient than multiplexing
> a single connection, but more efficient than running separate
> application processes to get concurrency.

Could you expand on this... I don't follow what would be happening here.
Can you set up Apache and the FCGI client to have multiple sockets between
them? For my case I must only have the 1 FCGI client.

---
Paul Mahoney, X-Act Solutions Limited
smail: Owlsmead, Meads Road, Little Common, Bexhill-on-Sea, East Sussex TN39 4SY
email: ptm@xact.demon.co.uk ... pmahoney@cix.compulink.co.uk
phone: +44 424 846368