Re: Fastcgi and cookies

Mark Brown (mbrown@openmarket.com)
Mon, 17 Jun 1996 15:52:00 -0400

To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
Subject: Re: Fastcgi and cookies
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 1996 15:52:00 -0400
From: Mark Brown <mbrown@openmarket.com>

Nigel Metheringham reports:

    As a performance test I tried putting up a largish perl program as a
    fastcgi.  Its based around Lincoln Stein's CGI package, and uses
    cookies to keep state.

Speaking of performance, a message went by yesterday on the Apache
list reporting a serious performance bug in mod_fastcgi.  The select
call in mod_fastcgi is specified to use a zero timeout; a much
longer timeout (perhaps infinite) would be appropriate.
As soon as we have a good patch it will go to this list.

    However the state keeping is falling apart.  If a cookie is passed in,
    it appears to get to the program through the environment (tested by
    dumping the environment).  However cookie data generated in the
    header passed out by the script does not appear to be "taken" by the
    browser - so may not be getting there at all!

Various folks have reported bad interactions between existing Perl
CGI packages and FastCGI.  I'd be interested in knowing what packages
people have had success with.

You can diagnose the problem using "tcpdump" or similar relay program,
or by simply doing a telnet to the server.  At least you'll be
able to tell whether or not the Perl program is returning
a cookie, and thus narrow down the problem.

    --mark