Re: mod_fastcgi performance problem

Nigel Metheringham (Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net)
Tue, 18 Jun 1996 17:19:20 +0100

To: Mark Brown <mbrown@openmarket.com>
From: Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net>
Subject: Re: mod_fastcgi performance problem
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 17:19:20 +0100

dlu@bsdi.com said:
} I'm not sure why the infinite timeout doesn't work, but it seems to
} cause the server to hang.

I have it working with an infinite timeout (ie NULL pointer as last
argument to select).  No problems seen under SunOS 4.1.3.  I believe
that different unices handle the select arguments differently...

One thing you may be able to shed light on...
When I start apache normally I get one httpd process running as root
uid Using the mod_fastcgi stuff I get one httpd process running as
root, one additional process as root for each AppClass conf file
directive, and n as www uid, plus the actual fastcgi service
processes.  The extra root processes don't seem to be doing anything
useful - at least strace has never caught them doing anything but a
timing loop.

What are these extra processes?

Also, since it appears the fastcgi services are forked off from the
main server running as root, would it be possible to add a user
directive to the AppClass stuff and have them running as a different
userid (assuming you started your server as root)?

I haven't studied the code in detail so I may be off at a tangent
here.

	Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net   - Unix Applications Engineer ]
[ *Views expressed here are personal and not supported by PLAnet* ]