Re: FastCGI, Netscape Commerce Server, PHP

rasmus@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca
Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:26:54 -0400 (EDT)

From: rasmus@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 1996 08:26:54 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: FastCGI, Netscape Commerce Server, PHP
To: Roland Siebelink <Roland.Siebelink@allmansland.com>

> b) Does anybody have experience with integrating FastCGI within the
> Netscape Commerce Server through the PHP redirection module? Does it
> increase performance, and would informance be increased more if
> applications were written in another FastCGI interface (Perl, TCL, Java)
> directly rather than in the PHP scripting language?

Actually, PHP supports FastCGI directly.  Simply answer "Yes" to the
"FastCGI Support" during the installation and it will build you a
FastCGI PHP interpreter.

For Apache, you would need to add something like the following to your
srm.conf file:

      AddType application/x-httpd-fcgi .fcgi
      AppClass /usr/local/etc/httpd/fcgi-bin/php.fcgi -processes 4
      AddType application/x-httpd-fphp .fhtml
      Action application/x-httpd-fphp /fcgi-bin/php.fcgi

The AddType lines are just another way of adding something to the mime.types
file, so with Netscape you shouldn't need to worry about these.  You can
simply add those lines to your mime.types file directly.  The AppClass
line is handled by the fastcgi Apache module.  You would need the equivalent
NSAPI module.  Somebody must have written one.  It seems trivial.  If you
take the Apache mod_fastcgi and combine it with my NSAPI redirection
module you should have all the pieces to write yourself an NSAPI fastcgi
module.

Lastly, the "Action" line is a redirection in Apache.  You can do the
equivalent in Netscape with the NSAPI redirection module.

Then again, you could just save yourself some heartache and run Apache.

-Rasmus