Re: Apache and affinity

Mark Brown (mbrown@OpenMarket.com)
Fri, 05 Jul 1996 18:44:53 -0400

To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: Re: Apache and affinity
Date: Fri, 05 Jul 1996 18:44:53 -0400
From: Mark Brown <mbrown@OpenMarket.com>

Dan Cradler wonders:

  Is it possible to use the process affinity feature of Fast CGI with with
  Apache Module? I would like to use FastCGI to write a database interface
  that will be on a very busy server. I need to have 10 or more processes
  available to handle requests, each with its own database connection. I
  would like to be able to cache user state information in memory so I need
  to make sure the user gets the same FCGI process each time they access
  the server. I suppose this could be accomplished with either a
  multitheaded FCGI app or by using shared memory, but I would like to
  avoid the complexity of these approaches. Anyone working on a setup like
  this?

The examples/sample-store.c application in the current developer's
kit is an application of the sort you are talking about, and illustrates
the use of session affinity.

mod_fastcgi doesn't support session affinity.  Perhaps somebody
can contribute some code?

    --mark