fcgi 1.5 & perl 5.003

Brian P Millett (bpm@terraweb.com)
Tue, 9 Jul 1996 14:55:50 -0500

From: bpm@terraweb.com  (Brian P Millett)
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: fcgi 1.5 & perl 5.003
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 1996 14:55:50 -0500
Message-Id: <19960709195550.AAA16807@vlad.terraweb.com>

Hello,
	This is a tale of the steps that I took to get the fcgi-dev-kit
1.5 to compile with the new perl5.003.  I don't know why it was so
difficult, but then again I was the one doing it :-)

Oh yea, this is on solaris 2.4

The perl.c has the fix in it, so I didn't need to edit it.  Proto.h
needed to have the changes made to it.  I ran Configure as:

./Configure -D extralibs=$FCGIDIR/libfcgi/libfcgi.a -D
prefix=$PERL_PREFIX -D cc=$CC -D "ccflags=-I$FCGIDIR/include -include
$FCGIDIR/include/fcgi_stdio.h"

But I got several strange things to happen.  The biggest and baddest
is that NONE of the signal type were generated!  ?????

sig_name='ZERO -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 -0 '
sig_num='0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 '

So I did a 'make clean' and ran Configure as: "./Configure -D
prefix=/opt/gnu -D cc=gcc".  This time the signals were defined
correctly & I was able to make & make test just fine.

I checked conf.sh & found the following:
sig_name='ZERO HUP INT QUIT ILL TRAP ABRT EMT FPE KILL BUS SEGV SYS PIPE ALRM TERM USR1 USR2 CHLD PWR WINCH URG IO STOP TSTP CONT TTIN TTOU VTALRM PROF XCPU XFSZ WAITING LWP FREEZE THAW RTMIN NUM37 NUM38 NUM39 NUM40 NUM41 NUM42 RTMAX IOT CLD POLL '
sig_num='0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 6 18 22 '


I then went back to do the Configure with the libs & ccflags etc, but
I got errors compiling sv.c

I checked the config.sh file & found that the following were set as
follows:

d_stdio_cnt_lval='define'
d_stdio_ptr_lval='define'
d_stdiobase='define'
d_stdstdio='define'

So I changed them to:

d_stdio_cnt_lval='undef'
d_stdio_ptr_lval='undef'
d_stdiobase='undef'
d_stdstdio='undef'

Ran 'make clean', then 'make Makefiles depend all' & then 'make test'
and all worked fine.

I guess I just like the brute force, beat my face into a wall
approach.  But I have a perl5.003 that will run fcgi-dev-kit 1.5.

Thanks

-- 
---
Brian Millett                    
Technology Applications Inc.     "Heaven can not exist,
(314) 530-1981                          If the family is not eternal"
bpm@techapp.com                   F. Ballard Washburn