Re: fcgi 1.5 & perl 5.003

Michael Shanzer (shanzer@OpenMarket.com)
Tue, 09 Jul 1996 16:23:48 -0400

To: bpm@techapp.com
Subject: Re: fcgi 1.5 & perl 5.003
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 1996 16:23:48 -0400
From: Michael Shanzer <shanzer@OpenMarket.com>

In message <19960709195550.AAA16807@vlad.terraweb.com>, bpm writes:
>Hello,
>	This is a tale of the steps that I took to get the fcgi-dev-kit
>1.5 to compile with the new perl5.003.  I don't know why it was so
>difficult, but then again I was the one doing it :-)
Part of the reason it was so difficult is cause there is a bug in Configure.
Configure does not always use $ldflags and $libs when compiling the test
programs. So sometimes it gets unresolved symbols. This happened cause you
are using the fcgi_stdio.h header file which re-defines most of the stdio
calls, but you are not linking with the FastCGI library which defines these
new calls.  I have sent a bug report and a patch to perl5-bugs, it
supposedly on the list of things to get fixed.

>I checked the config.sh file & found that the following were set as
>follows:
>
>d_stdio_cnt_lval='define'
>d_stdio_ptr_lval='define'
>d_stdiobase='define'
>d_stdstdio='define'
>
>So I changed them to:
>
>d_stdio_cnt_lval='undef'
>d_stdio_ptr_lval='undef'
>d_stdiobase='undef'
>d_stdstdio='undef'
Configure attempts to figure out the layout of your FILE structure.
Since you told configure not to use the FastCGI libraries or compiler flags
it assumed you had a "standard" FILE structure. But when you built
perl-5.003 you were using the FastCGI stdio FILE structure which is not
standard. You found the best way to fix it (short of fixing Configure so you
can use all the right flags FastCGI needs).

					Mike