Re: Multiple connections to an application process

Mark Brown (mbrown@OpenMarket.com)
Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:52:02 -0400

To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: Re: Multiple connections to an application process
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:52:02 -0400
From: Mark Brown <mbrown@OpenMarket.com>

    I got some code together that will one day allow me to have
    connections to the multiple Apache server processes...

    The first thing it does is an SO_REUSEADDR on
    FCGI_LISTENSOCK_FILENO...  and it gets errno=99 [EOPNOTSUPP]. On
    investigation of the Apache fastcgi module I find that it is using
    unix domain sockets [AF_UNIX] with file names of the form
    /tmp/OM_WS_...

    1. How is reuseability meant to work with AF_UNIX sockets? If it
    does at all!

I haven't tried it yet, but will try it soon as I test the
multi-threaded library I am developing.  My guess is that the
SO_REUSEADDR is simply not required in the Unix domain case, but I am
not positive.

    2. Must I make a version of the Apache module that uses AF_INET
    sockets?

I don't think that will be necessary, at least not for the purposes
of getting multiple connections to an application process.

    --mark