Re: FCGI & GD.pm problems

Rujith S. de Silva (desilva@ind70.industry.net)
Fri, 09 Aug 1996 12:06:22 -0400

Date: Fri, 09 Aug 1996 12:06:22 -0400
From: "Rujith S. de Silva" <desilva@ind70.industry.net>
To: bpm@techapp.com
Subject: Re: FCGI & GD.pm problems

bpm wrote:
> Well, I've got perl5.003, FCGI dev kit 1.5 configured and running on a
> sparc solaris 2.4 (sorry don't have 2.5 :-) ) & all seems to work just
> great BUT
>
> The GD.pm package breaks when I make it with the fcgi includes.  I'm
> not that great of a 'c' hacker to know why, but if I make the GD.pm
> package with the CCFLAGS as:

I managed to get perl5.003, fcgi 1.5, gd 1.2 and GD.pm 1.00 working on
Solaris 2.5.  BPM: Did you recompile gd 1.2 with FCGI?  To do so, I
edited the gd makefile as follows:

CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/omhttpd/fcgi-devel-kit/include -include \
	/usr/local/omhttpd/fcgi-devel-kit/include/fcgi_stdio.h -O
LIBS=-L/usr/local/omhttpd/fcgi-devel-kit/libfcgi -L/usr/local/lib \
	-L/opt/local/lib -L/opt/gnu/lib -L./ \
	-lfcgi -lsocket -lnsl -lgd -lm -lc

This compiled fine on my system, and the demo worked, generating
demoout.gif.

I then linked libgd.a to /usr/local/lib/, and gd.h to
/usr/local/include/.

Then GD 1.00 compiled out of the box, and its demos (brushes.pl, etc.)
worked fine.

I guess this is another confirmation that the fcgi trick of re-defining
stdio (which I still dislike to some extent) does work for integrating
with third-party applications when source is available.  I haven't tried
doing any integrations when source is not available.

Later,
Rujith.