Re: Perl 5.003 + FastCGI

Steve Kann (stevek@io360.com)
Fri, 9 Aug 1996 16:53:16 -0400 (EDT)

From: Steve Kann <stevek@io360.com>
Subject: Re: Perl 5.003 + FastCGI
To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 1996 16:53:16 -0400 (EDT)

Firstly, thanks for those who gave their suggestions on the
perl5.003/Solaris build problems I was having.

As it turns out, it wasn't some zaniness about the order of the way I
was doing things or anything like that.  The problem was that I was
using perl 5.003.001 i.e. patch sub-level one.

Apparently, this version is a parralel tree to 5.003 (i.e. it waas
derived from the combination of a 5.002.001 and the 5.002 -> 5.003
changes.  The diff is about 200k gzipped, and really re-does the way I/O
is handled.  I really haven't looked into this too deeply, but from what
I see, it may be stuff that is useful for integrating fastcgi and perl
in a more modular way.

I got the file from ftp.metronet.com:/pub/perl/authors/id/CBAIL
-r--r--r--   1 1000     200      1659249 Aug  1 05:45 perl5_003_01.tar-gz

Here's some excerpts from the Changelog
--snip--
----------------
Version 5.003_01
----------------

Version 5.003_01 contains bugfixes and additions accumulated since
version 5.002_01, since the patch to version 5.003 was deliberately
kept simple.  In addition to numerous small bugfixes in the core,
library files, and documentation, this patch contains several
significant revisions, summarized below:

[...]
o Changes in the Standard Library and Utilities
[...]
  - The IO extension, which provides a set of classes for object-
    oriented handling of common I/O tasks, has been added to the
    standard distribution.  The IO classes will form the basis
    for future development of Perl's I/O interface, and will
    subsume the FileHandle class in the near future.  The default
    class to which all Perl I/O handles belong is now IO::Handle,
    rather than FileHandle.
-- snip --

I'm not sure, as I'm not all that familair with the Internals of Perl's
OOness, but could this help make it easier to make a FCGIIO class that
overrode the standard IO class with fcgi behaviors?

-SteveK