Re: apache/fastcgi with linux

Mark Brown (mbrown@openmarket.com)
Mon, 12 Aug 1996 17:10:32 -0400

To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
Subject: Re: apache/fastcgi with linux
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 17:10:32 -0400
From: Mark Brown <mbrown@openmarket.com>

Ajaya Sahoo asks:

    >Whether to go ahead with the warning messages while building
    >the apache?

You'd have to look at the .h files (or, more reliably, at
the preprocessed source code for mod_fastcgi.c) and compare the types
the compiler is complaining about, I guess.  Has someone who uses
Linux and Apache done that already?

    >What should be the next step for starting the apache server ?
    >(How to make use of the 'conf/httpd.config' file? It contains
    >directives not recognised by apache.)

Unfortunately there isn't a complete sample config file for Apache.
(This answers the question in your second message.)
I don't have time to write one and nobody has contributed one.  I hope
when you're done you'll contribute yours.

The FastCGI portion of such a config file would be quite simple.
If you've installed the FastCGI kit in the directory /your-path-here:

  # Required: Tell Apache to give .fcgi files to mod_fastcgi
  AddType application/x-httpd-fcgi .fcgi
  # Optional: give the examples directory an easier-to-type URL
  Alias /fcgi-bin/ /your-path-here/fcgi-devel-kit/examples/
  # Required: Start up the C FastCGI examples
  AppClass /your-path-here/fcgi-devel-kit/examples/tiny-fcgi.fcgi
  AppClass /your-path-here/fcgi-devel-kit/examples/echo.fcgi

echo is really the most useful example to start with -- it is a
superset of tiny-fcgi.  If you are using Perl and/or Tcl you'd add
a couple more AppClass lines.

You'd also need to add some symlinks in the examples directory:

  % cd /your-path-here/fcgi-devel-kit/examples/
  % ln -s tiny-fcgi tiny-fcgi.fcgi
  % ln -s echo      echo.fcgi

    >How to run FastCGI applications on the fcgi-devel-kit directory ?
    >(In the /home/asahoo/aks/fcgi-devel-kit directory
            ./configure
             make
    >have been performed).

Write a minimal Apache config file, add the stuff above, add the
symlinks, then start the Apache server.  mod_fastcgi will start
the applications.

Let us know how it goes, and please contribute something back to make
it easier for the next person.

    --mark