Re: Does FastCGI support persistent ODBC connections?

Mark Brown (mbrown@openmarket.com)
Wed, 14 Aug 1996 19:28:37 -0400

To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
Subject: Re: Does FastCGI support persistent ODBC connections?
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 1996 19:28:37 -0400
From: Mark Brown <mbrown@openmarket.com>

Brad Beaton asks:

    After reading the white paper and browsing past mail, it appears
    that FastCGI does not directly support persistent ODBC
    connections.

Right.  FastCGI provides a basic mechanism at the same level as CGI.
It is not tied to specific database access mechanisms, unlike
the corresponding proprietary facilities from Oracle, Microsoft, etc.

    To accomplish this, would oraperl have to be ported for FastCGI?

My impression is that oraperl uses an Oracle-specific way to talking
to databases, not ODBC.  But I could well be wrong.  I imagine that
somebody out there has done oraperl with FastCGI; Rujith?

If you have an ODBC library for C, you could use that from
a C FastCGI application.  Whatever.  How do you do ODBC now?

    If not directly suported, does FastCGI facilitate persistent ODBC
    connections?

FastCGI facilitates persistent ODBC connections by allowing you
to keep the application process, hence the ODBC connection, alive
indefinitely.  Unlike CGI which requires the application to
exit after each request.

FastCGI also facilitates persistent ODBC connections by providing a
convenient way of sharing a limited number of ODBC connections
among competing requests.  Unlike server APIs which either
spread the application over a huge number of processes or
require multi-threaded programming to accomplish sharing.

    --mark