Re: Does FastCGI support persistent ODBC connections?

Rujith S. de Silva (desilva@ind70.industry.net)
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 09:15:45 -0400

Date: Thu, 15 Aug 1996 09:15:45 -0400
From: "Rujith S. de Silva" <desilva@ind70.industry.net>
To: Mark Brown <mbrown@openmarket.com>
Subject: Re: Does FastCGI support persistent ODBC connections?

Mark Brown wrote:
>     To accomplish this, would oraperl have to be ported for FastCGI?
>
> My impression is that oraperl uses an Oracle-specific way to talking
> to databases, not ODBC.  But I could well be wrong.  I imagine that
> somebody out there has done oraperl with FastCGI; Rujith?

Hi Mark!

Yeah, perl and Oraperl would have to be `ported' for FastCGI.  This
basically involves recompiling them with fcgi_stdio.h and libfcgi.a.  No
real problem - takes me maybe two minutes these days!

As for performance: using Openmarket Webserver, perl 5.003, latest
Oraperl running on Sun 20s using Solaris, average time for a FCGI
program to execute a trivial SQL query and display the results: 0.13s.
Average time to just run a trivial FCGI program (without getting
anything from Oracle): 0.07s.

Later,
Rujith.