Re: Performance data?

Jim Fulton (jim.fulton@digicool.com)
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:25:50 -0400

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:25:50 -0400
From: Jim Fulton <jim.fulton@digicool.com>
To: Andrew Kuchling <amk@magnet.com>
Subject: Re: Performance data?

Andrew Kuchling wrote:

> Skip Montanaro wrote:
> > Andy's code was written entirely in Python, but I still thought it wouldn't
> > do too badly against the fork/exec overhead of CGI.  There isn't that much
>
>         fastcgi.py implements things in the dumbest, brute-force way,
> using lots and lots of redundant string operations.  I'm sure
> optimization would be possible, but I now think it would be a better
> approach to write a Python module that used the fcgiapp library; it
> would be faster at the string-cracking stuff, and would keep up with
> changes to the protocol more easily, as long as the C library gets
> updated.

I developed a fcgiapp extension module.  It may be found at:

  http://www.digicool.com/jim/python/fcgiapp.html

This is a single-threaded version, as is the current version of
the fcgiapp library.  We are working on a multithreaded version using
the experimental multi-threaded version of fcgiapp.

Comments/feedback would be appreciated.

Mark,

Could you arrange to get a link to this on the Fast CGI pages?

Jim

--
Jim Fulton         Digital Creations
jim@digicool.com   540.371.6909