FastCGI / Apache problems

Bob Ramstad (rramstad@nfic.com)
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:53:16 -0400 (EDT)

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 10:53:16 -0400 (EDT)
From: Bob Ramstad <rramstad@nfic.com>
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: FastCGI / Apache problems

ok.  let me ask the obvious question.  is ANYONE using FastCGI in a
production environment?  if so, what servers and languages / libraries
are you using to build in order to get consistent behavior?  what OS
are you using?

one of our sites was recently converted to use FastCGI with Apache
1.1.1 as the server.  this site gets around 300,000 hits per week.
for reference, our server averages around 3 requests per second over a
complete day.  we have seen a lot of problems --- server errors,
extreme delays when visiting the site --- which never occurred with a
straight CGI program.  of course, when things are working well,
performance is greatly improved.

debugging the situation is well nigh impossible.  we have test suites
which pound the site repeatedly and we can definitely reproduce all of
these problems.  some "evidence" which might help:

* compilation on SunOS of libfcgi.a wasn't at all clean, many
warnings.

* quite often we'll get a "FastCGI: /foo/bar/baz terminated due to
signal" error.

* occasionally we'll get a "mod_fastcgi.o: 1365 assert failed (len >
0)" message.

* the system seems to be running a strange number of processes ---
more processes than specified in srm.conf.

on the whole, the FastCGI stuff is quite impressive --- but at the
moment, we can't get it to perform adequately.  any help is most
appreciated.  if people out there are having a lot more luck on
Solaris, that would be good to know, as we could do some more
experimentation on that platform, i suppose.

-- Bob