Re: FastCGI / Apache problems

Rujith S. de Silva (desilva@mail.industry.net)
Mon, 26 Aug 1996 11:28:42 -0400

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 11:28:42 -0400
From: "Rujith S. de Silva" <desilva@mail.industry.net>
To: Bob Ramstad <rramstad@nfic.com>
Subject: Re: FastCGI / Apache problems

Bob Ramstad wrote:
> ok.  let me ask the obvious question.  is ANYONE using FastCGI in a
> production environment?  if so, what servers and languages / libraries
> are you using to build in order to get consistent behavior?  what OS
> are you using?

One problem that I encountered: FastCGI claims that a CGI program can be
changed to FastCGI with the addition of a line or two of code.  This is
not quite true: a valid CGI program can call exit() at one or more
points in the code, and this is sometimes a convenient way to handle the
flow of control in the program.

Of course, using exit() in a FastCGI program is a BAD idea, and the CGI
program would have to be massaged to (1) not call exit() (easy) and (2)
re-route the flow of control appropriately (not quite that easy).

Programs with exit()s will give lots of problems when used as FastCGI
programs: truncation of pages, server error messages, high server loads
as the server repeatedly re-runs the programs as they exit, etc.

Later,
Rujith.