Re: What to do with the htpasswd program?

Michael Smith (mjs@cursci.co.uk)
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:17:25 +0100

Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 09:17:25 +0100
From: Michael Smith <mjs@cursci.co.uk>
To: "Robert S. Muhlestein" <robertm@teleport.com>
Subject: Re: What to do with the htpasswd program?

> Actually, invoking a shell like this probably isn't the best way to
> accomplish this task.  I suggest calling the perl function crypt() to > create your own encrypted passwords and then appending the new "user" > string to an flocked existing .htpasswd file. This seems like it would > work with fcgi.

I guess it would work, but what I wanted to achieve is a bit more
complicated; namely I also want to be able to change existing passwords
too.  I accept that the method you described could be made to work here
too, but it's easier if I can get away with using existing tried &
tested code.  Is this possible?

Mike