Re: What to do with the htpasswd program?

Robert S. Muhlestein (robertm@teleport.com)
Thu, 29 Aug 1996 10:33:41 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 10:33:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Robert S. Muhlestein" <robertm@teleport.com>
To: Michael Smith <mjs@cursci.co.uk>
Subject: Re: What to do with the htpasswd program?

On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Michael Smith wrote:

> > Actually, invoking a shell like this probably isn't the best way to
> > accomplish this task.  I suggest calling the perl function crypt() to > create your own encrypted passwords and then appending the new "user" > string to an flocked existing .htpasswd file. This seems like it would > work with fcgi.
>
> I guess it would work, but what I wanted to achieve is a bit more
> complicated; namely I also want to be able to change existing passwords
> too.  I accept that the method you described could be made to work here
> too, but it's easier if I can get away with using existing tried &
> tested code.  Is this possible?

I would suggest some of the commonly available source of passwd scripts
out there.  "Programming Perl" has a great example that could be hacked
to work with fcgi.  Frankly, I am facing the same challenge getting
this to work over NFS with fcgi.  I've got some C code started, but
still love to hear anyone's suggestions before I go reinventing the
wheel.

Robert Muhlestein
Teleport Creative Services
CGI/Java Guy