New packet??

R.W. Shore (bshore@isx.com)
Fri, 30 Aug 1996 08:30:17 -0500

Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 08:30:17 -0500
From: "R.W. Shore" <bshore@isx.com>
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: New packet??

I've taken a look at the spec (version 1.0 dated 29-Apr-1996) and
propose a new packet type.

FCGI_OUTPUT_CONTROL: App -> WS. non-stream. content={stream, op}, where
stream is one of the byte streams FCGI_STDOUT, FCGI_STDERR and op is the
operation to be performed. The one I'd like is FCGI_OP_REWIND; this
would allow the app to remove stuff it's sent to stdout after it detects
an error.

What the WS would do with this packet would depend on what it's doing
with the output. If the output's being dumped directly to the browser's
socket, then this packet would be a no-op. If the output's being cached,
either in RAM or on a temp file, then the WS could do something
meaningful in response.

Thoughts??