HTTPd: error connecting to fastcgi server

Michael Smith (mjs@cursci.co.uk)
Wed, 04 Sep 1996 11:03:05 +0100

Date: Wed, 04 Sep 1996 11:03:05 +0100
From: Michael Smith <mjs@cursci.co.uk>
To: fastcgi-developers@OpenMarket.com
Subject: HTTPd: error connecting to fastcgi server

We've been running fastCGI on our live server for over a week without
any problems (other than our own bad coding of course!).  However I got
in this morning to find lots and lots of server errors and entries in
the log file like this:

[Wed Sep  4 00:03:23 1996] access to
/disk3/livewww/delilah/cgi-bin/yourroom/bionet.fpl failed for
129.85.129.216, reason: HTTPd: error connecting to fastcgi server -
filename: /disk3/livewww/delilah/cgi-bin/yourroom/bionet.fpl - error:
Connection refused

Note:  another fastCGI process also running had not shown the same
problem.

A couple of "rogue" httpd processes which had been running most of the
night consuming 30% of the CPU - when I killed these life seemed to
return to normal, and the server could connect to the fastCGI processes
(still running from last night).

If anybody has any ideas what might have gone wrong here I'd really like
to hear.

Thanks for any advice

Michael Smith