Apache FCGI Module 1.3 Problem

Scott Langley (langles@VOTE-SMART.ORG)
Sat, 7 Sep 1996 22:56:06 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Sat, 7 Sep 1996 22:56:06 -0700 (PDT)
From: Scott Langley <langles@VOTE-SMART.ORG>
To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
Subject: Apache FCGI Module 1.3 Problem

Is this the right place to communicate with the developer of the FastCGI
module for Apache?

I compiled the latest 1.3 module for Apache 1.1.1 (my system is Linux
2.0.18 with gcc 2.7.2 and libc5.4.2) and got these warning messages while
compiling the FastCGI module in Apache:

mod_fastcgi.c: In function `FastCgiIpcDirCmd':
mod_fastcgi.c:1802: warning: comparison is always 0 due to limited range
of data type
mod_fastcgi.c:1803: warning: comparison is always 0 due to limited range
of data type
mod_fastcgi.c: In function `AppClassCmd':
mod_fastcgi.c:2188: warning: comparison is always 0 due to limited range
of data type
mod_fastcgi.c:2189: warning: comparison is always 0 due to limited range
of data type

That is, these comparisons in mod_fastcgi.c:

    uid = (user_id == -1)  ? geteuid() : user_id;
    gid = (group_id == -1) ? getegid() : group_id;

operate on user_id and group_id which are type unsigned short, due to the
following definition in: linux/include/asm/posix_types.h

    typedef unsigned short  __kernel_uid_t;

and in: linux/include/linux/types.h

    typdef  __kernel_uid_t   uid_t

Related to this, I think, is the error message I get when I start Apache
using the test httpd.conf that comes with the 1.3 FastCGI module as root:

Syntax error on line 54 of /www/conf/httpd.conf:
FastCgiIpcDir: Need read/write/exec permission on directory

Is this helpful to anyone working on the Apache module, or can anyone
who is sharp on these matters (I'm no Unix+C expert) explain how I can fix
this?

Thanks.

Scott Langley
Online Services Director