Re: session affinity

Mark Brown (mbrown@openmarket.com)
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 11:59:10 -0400

To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
Subject: Re: session affinity
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 11:59:10 -0400
From: Mark Brown <mbrown@openmarket.com>

Roger Day asks:

    Are OpenMarket going to extend this nice little item beyond their
    own WebServer? ... In my opinion 'session affinity' is the thing
    that makes fastcgi worthwhile.

I'd love to support session affinity on other servers.  What I don't
understand is how to do it.

The style of configuration provided by the Open Market server, in
which Tcl code can run conditionally based on the requested URL, made
it very easy to provide an open and flexible technique for specifying
the session ID of a request.

I don't see the corresponding capability in the Apache or NCSA
servers.  It may be that the closest thing is Apache's new mod_rewrite
module, but I'm not an expert on it.  Or maybe mod_cookie would
be used.  I dunno.

How were you planning to generate your session IDs?  Could
mod_rewrite be used to snag the session ID from a request and
attach it to the request?  Getting from there to an implementation
of session affinity would not be very hard.

    --mark