Having problems with external servers

Eric J. Schwertfeger (ejs@bfd.com)
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 18:54:57 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 18:54:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
Subject: Having problems with external servers

I've just started using fastcgi, and while I like it, it adds new layers
of complication to things :-)

I'm trying to use an external server, launched with

	./cgi-fcgi -start -connect :9979 /usr/jay/bin/tiny.fcgi

This runs, gives no errors, but nothing can connect to it.  If I do a ps
on the machine (a SunServer 20, uname -a reports "SunOS arch9 5.4 generic
sun4m sparc") the process doesn't show up, and a netstat -an shows nothing
bound to port 9979.  Has anyone seen this?  If it makes any difference, we
don't have a compiler on this machine, so I had to compile fast-cgi on a
similar machine, but running 5.3

Also, is there an ExternalAppClass command for the Apache fast-cgi
module, or a different syntax for the AppClass directive, to directly
connect to this once I get it running, or do I run cgi-fcgi as an fcgi
script and let it make the connection, or do I run cgi-fcgi as regular
cgi?  I suspect the middle option is correct, since that seems to make
sense.