Re: FastCGI for Netscape Server

melhaas@qsun.ho.att.com
Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:57:42 -0400

From: melhaas@qsun.ho.att.com
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:57:42 -0400
To: Scott Nedderman <scottn@staff.prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: FastCGI for Netscape Server

Scott,
Thanks for the update.
We have been using Netscape's Server-side Java to add capability and
do CGI-like things with Enterprise 2.  It has not been a happy
experience.

We have found through experiment and interaction with the users' groups
that straight Java output will bypass the NSAPI'isms of the interface,
and that by substituting a buffered output stream, we can get
satisfactory performance.  This means that all the HTTP header output
capabilities are now available.  Unfortunately, we have not been able to
find out how to bypass the hidden secrets of NSAPI input, so we don't
have the freedom of CGI for processing requests.

I hope that John's message implies an open interface that makes it
easier to use to do what we want and need, not just simpler control
constructs that make it easier to do what Netscape wants (the theme of
NSAPI).  If the new interface is truly open, it should be easy to
provide a FastAPI interface.  If it is more of the same old closed,
secret interfaces, then we can all shift to Apache.
--
Mel Haas                                  mailto:melhaas@qsun.ho.att.com
  http://www.netaxs.com/~melhaas