Perl fork/pipe/exec

Mark Lester (mcl@cursci.co.uk)
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 18:08:00 +0100

Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 18:08:00 +0100
From: Mark Lester <mcl@cursci.co.uk>
Subject: Perl fork/pipe/exec
To: FastCGI-list <fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com>

I am having problems forking a process and piping to/from it in fast-CGI
Perl. I understand this is because the file operations have been overloaded
by
FCGI, although I don't understand too much. I am using the open2.pl program,
which does stuff like
        open(STDIN,  "<&$kid_rdr");
        open(STDOUT, ">&$kid_wtr");

My hack to solve this is to hang the sub-program off a socket.
My colleague Mike Smith has brought up the subject before, we need to
use FastCGI for our templating system which has a high start-up cost.

P.S. has anyone else hacked up something like

where my_view is a routine like

sub my_view
     {
     local($cursor,$node)=@_;