FastCGI (or CGI) app partitioning

J. Merrill (jvm@cais.cais.com)
Tue, 8 Oct 1996 15:40:42 -0400

Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 15:40:42 -0400
To: fastcgi-developers@openmarket.com
From: "J. Merrill" <jvm@cais.cais.com>
Subject: FastCGI (or CGI) app partitioning

The application for which I'm trying to build a web front-end is very
processor- and memory-intensive, so I don't want to run it on the customer's
main WWW server.  I'd prefer not to set up an entire WWW server (on another
machine) and have it use some of the machine resources that my app would be
glad to have.  So I want to have the routine that runs on the main WWW
server be a very lightweight one which sends info across to another machine
which will host my app -- and the stuff that the FastCGI mechanism sends to
a FastCGI routine that's running on the WWW server is exactly what I'd need
to send over.

In some of the FastCGI docs there's mention of this kind of thing being
possible, but I haven't seen any examples.  Has anyone else?  Has anyone
built something like this?

Thanks in advance.

J. Merrill / Analytical Software Corp