Re: FastCGI (or CGI) app partitioning

George Feinberg (gmf@odi.com)
Tue, 8 Oct 1996 17:50:52 -0400 (EDT)

From: George Feinberg <gmf@odi.com>
Subject: Re: FastCGI (or CGI) app partitioning
To: jvm@cais.cais.com (J. Merrill)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 17:50:52 -0400 (EDT)

> The application for which I'm trying to build a web front-end is very
> processor- and memory-intensive, so I don't want to run it on the customer's
> main WWW server.  I'd prefer not to set up an entire WWW server (on another
> machine) and have it use some of the machine resources that my app would be
> glad to have.  So I want to have the routine that runs on the main WWW
> server be a very lightweight one which sends info across to another machine
> which will host my app -- and the stuff that the FastCGI mechanism sends to
> a FastCGI routine that's running on the WWW server is exactly what I'd need
> to send over.
>
> In some of the FastCGI docs there's mention of this kind of thing being
> possible, but I haven't seen any examples.  Has anyone else?  Has anyone
> built something like this?

I think you're just referring to an "external" FCGI application.
It's built and linked the same as internal applications.  The
only difference is that it's started using the cgi-fcgi program,
and the entry in the web servers httpd.config file is a bit
different.  The FCGI documentation covers how to do this.
Look around page 4 of the "Administering FastCGI Programs"
html page.

George